Don't Mind if I Do

Don't Mind if I Do
Why hello, gentlemen...

June 1, 2011

Awkhole

I sort of relish awkward dating moments, which are so preciously human. Of course, I'd rather have awesome than awkward, but I prefer awkward to arid. It keeps things interesting. That said, I was not consciously trying for wince-inducement on a recent first date.

To set the scene: The guy seemed intelligent and well-intentioned, but had a strange demeanor and I got a strange vibe. He asked if I'd like to get together again, and I wasn't sure. If he was like this all the time, the answer would be no. However, if his labored speech was the result of nerve-induced pre-gaming... maybe it would be worth another try? I fumbled a bit, then heard someone ask in my voice: "Are you a little bit drunk?" 


Unfortunately, he did not take this in the spirit of sincere inquiry with which I intended it. He promptly retracted his 2nd date request and I promptly fled. Walking home, I felt like that other "A" word -- the kind that ends in "hole." Note to self: a simple "no, thank you," will generally suffice.

PS: He sent me a LinkedIn request the next day. I guess that means all is forgiven?

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I've missed these updates when we shared an office...glad to be getting the scoop!

    ReplyDelete